Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sports Heroes?

With the news today that David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez failed a drug test in 2003, the question continues for me as to who are and who have been the real heroes of sports.

Growing up I could point to Lawrence Taylor, though, that proved to be faulty. My thoughts about Mark Messier I have chronicled on this blog the last few days and how he turned out to be a bit of a phony. If I had a son, I would want him to play like Pete Rose – hard nosed and honest – at least that was the case on the field. But there are many guys that are pretty solid citizens as far as I know. Phil Simms and Don Mattingly immediately come to mind. Bernard King is my favorite Knick of all-time. Today, I would say Derek Jeter is a pretty solid role model.

Honestly, though, I think it is important to separate what a person does on the field from what they do off of it, because it seems more often than not, you'll be disappointed.

No comments: