Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Who Rock The Izod Center

The Who rocked New Jersey’s Izod Center (née Meadowlands) last night in a show that saw the band play a wide array of songs from their incomparably expansive music catalogue.
The loquacious Pete Townshend was at his most arrogant and played guitar the best I have ever seen him. Roger Daltrey was masterful; swinging his microphone and singing Pete's songs with an unbridled passion. He hit the high notes on "Love Reign O’er Me" and "Won’t Get Fooled Again" like he was 30 years younger. Drummer Zak Starkey was at his most manic on the drums; while Pino Palladino delivered strong bass playing.

Palladino and Simon Townshend (extra guitar) combine to try and replicate the rich sound of the dearly departed, John Entwistle, and do a fine job. Meanwhile, long-time Who-mate John”Rabbit” Bundrick was brilliant on keyboard.

The opening act, Canadian trio Inward Eye, were also very impressive, although the arena was probably a third full when they performed. I look forward to their album coming out in January on iTunes.

But, the very enthusiastic and surprisingly young crowd, filled up the building for the legendary twosome from Shepards Bush, England. The Ooo once again did not fail to take me away on a spiritual voyage, quite thankfully bereft of “Joe the Plumber” and “promises of change.” No, this was something better and more fulfilling then almost anything I have ever experienced. This is something that I have seen over and over again and have never grown tired, nor bored of.

This was a Who concert: brilliant, arrogant and spiritually uplifting!

Setlist:
I Can’t Explain
The Seeker
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Sister Disco
Baba O’Riley
Gettin’ In Tune
Eminence Front
5.15
Love Reign O’er Me
My Generation
Won’t Get Fooled Again
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey/Sparks/See Me, Feel Me
Tea and Theatre

8 comments:

Mr Moonlight said...

Solid Who show last night ... nice surprises with "Sister Disco" and "Gettin In Tune", as well as reviving Quadrophenia faves "5:15" and "Love, Reign O'er Me", which weren't played on the first two legs of this long world tour (2006 & 2007).

Zee 'OOOO still ROCK !!!!

Check out my blogger "Tall Tales & Truisms" for an interesting account of how I obtained tix for the show .....

MM

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

I will and thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe I missed it. Glad you were there Sean, at least I get to live vicariously through you on this one.
Question - have you ever seen them NOT open with Can't Explain? Not that I mind it - but I don't think I've ever seen a different opener...

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

Good point, Matt. The only times I have seen them not open with "I Can't Explain" were for obvious reasons during the Quadrophenia shows.

I wonder why that particular song has become a staple for them as an opener?

Steve Patti said...

Real Good Looking Boy is a great song. I can listen to it over and over. It sounds like the show though, has not changed too much from the time I saw them at MSG in 2006. At least they got rid of the "Broken Glass" segment of the show.

JunieRose2005 said...

A GREAT review of the Who concert!

Wish I could have seen them again!
I have seen them only once and that was last year in Tampa!

BTW-You have a neat blog from what I have read so far!

A friend directed me here!:) I'll be back.

Also- hope you will come check out 'Junie's Place!'


Junie

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

Thanks to everyone for reading and commenting!

Be well!

Mr Moonlight said...

They used to open with "Heaven & Hell", (which was before my time), but seems like since then its always been "Can't Explain" ...

My guess is that CE is a good 'warm up excersize' to loosen up fingers and arms and vocal chords ... it's relatively an easy play, straightforward without complex chordings or rhythms or melodies or subtle dynamics .. and it ROCKS!

In a word: Maximum R&B