Friday, February 01, 2008

The Best Book Ever?

I recently saw this debated someplace as to what the best book ever is and I think it is a bit silly, only because there are just so many great ones to mention. But I, nonetheless, will add my two cents (with inflation shouldn't it be more?).

As a child I absolutely loved Where the Wild Things Are. In fact, when my mother would take me to the library, I would go straight for that book. I'd say as an adult that really anything that Anne Rice has authored, particularly, Lestat, Memnoch the Devil, Blackwood Farm (gave me nightmares) and Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt are all top-notch.

As far as the classics go, The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) and A Farewell to Arms (Ernest Hemingway) are probably at the top of my list. Nonfiction books that stand out for me are In Harm’s Way (by Doug Stanton which is about the USS Indianapolis, and one that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!), Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand (who wrote the book while suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome) and From Beirut to Jerusalem (Thomas Friedman). From the true crime category: Serpico by Peter Maas, Gotti by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustain and The Westies by T.J. English, are all must-reads. But, like I said, there are just so many that I love and have read that I can’t name them all.

No comments: