Tuesday, August 26, 2008

How Does W.W.E. Compensate For John Cena Injury?

John Cena is undergoing surgery today to repair a herniated disc in his neck. Many people are speculating that Cena could be out as long as a year if not longer. I’d prefer to wait to hear what the doctors will say after the surgery is over, however, it is hard not to wonder how a long-term absence of Cena will impact the W.W.E.

John Cena is a very polarizing individual for a variety of reasons, but the bottom line is that people either love him or hate him. Some say that only women and children go wild for this guy, but I think he’s got more of a following than that. The loudest ovation the other night at the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, Conn. was for John Cena. I mean it was actually deafening!

I have mixed feelings about John Cena, so I guess you could say I’m kind of a tweener on the subject. Some people hated that he was W.W.E. Champ for a whole year; I like long title reigns. Some people hate him because he is too much of a power wrestler and doesn’t have a good enough repertoire of moves; to me though I think Cena brings a lot of energy to his matches which makes up for the fact that he isn’t going to get confused with Bret Hart any time soon. Some people, though, believe he is great on the mic; I think he does way too much screaming and is too over-the-top. Probably why I like him is because I’ve seen him on Larry King and other talk shows and he comes across as a pretty likable guy and very down to earth. He even made fun of himself for not throwing the ball too well when he threw out the first pitch for a Red Sox game.

Nonetheless, regardless of what anyone thinks, a Cena loss from the W.W.E. scene is going to hurt their bottom line, undoubtedly. On the other hand, it will force the W.W.E. to find a way to make up for Cena’s absence. It will be interesting to see what the W.W.E. will try to do to make up for the former champ’s absence.

No comments: