Monday, June 25, 2007

WWE Wrestler Chris Benoit and Family Found Dead

The W.W.E. website is reporting that former World Champion Chris Benoit and his family were found dead at their home. The story is breaking so details are a bit sketchy, but I'll give you what is known at this time.

Tonight's Monday Night Raw will be a tribute to Benoit. Originally the show was supposed to be "dedicated" to Vince McMahon who was "presumed" dead after his car was bombed several weeks ago. I mentioned on here that I thought it was one of the worst story lines I have ever seen and this is one of the reasons why. Unfortunately, many wrestlers have died the last few years, such as Owen Hart, Eddie Guerrero, and most recently Bam Bam Bigelow and Sherri Martel. Too often the W.W.E. has had to have real eulogies on the air. To do it as a spoof is just low. I get that the W.W.E. is part t.v. show, part "sport," but there is such a thing as going too far. I actually sent an email to the W.W.E. expressing my views.

As I am writing this, I just read on 1wrestling.com a brief from veteran journalist Bill Apter who is reporting that the W.W.E. is now removing all references to McMahon's "death."
Benoit, a Canadian, resided in Atlanta and the family's home is being investigated by police, Apter writes.

Chris Benoit, 40, was a real favorite of mine. I remember him from his Stampede Wrestling days up in Calgary where he was trained by Stu Hart, the patriarch of the famous Hart family which included Bret and Owen. Benoit idolized the Dynamite Kid and patterned his style after him. Benoit wrestled in E.C.W., W.C.W., and W.W.E. He was supposed to wrestle CM Punk yesterday for the vacant E.C.W. World Championship. Johnny Nitro, however, replaced Benoit after it was reported that Chris Benoit was unable to attend due to personal reasons. Reportedly he called the W.W.E. and told them that he couldn't make it because his wife and son were spitting up blood.

I have to say I am just completely shocked. Benoit was one of the most exciting wrestlers around and I actually got to see him in-person during the mid-90s when he worked for the original E.C.W., which was completely anti-establishment. We'll know more in the days and weeks to come.

R.I.P Chris Benoit and family.

No comments: