Saturday, March 10, 2007

March Matchups: The Ocean vs. The Pool

Welcome back ladies and gentleman to the "Rangers In Seven" Arena! I just want to remind you that we will have our "Triple Threat Tables" match coming soon! The Road Warriors vs. The Steiners vs. The Dudleys. The delay is that there are so many Dudleys, they can't decide which two should be involved. Why, there's Dudley Dudley, D-Von Dudley, Bubba Ray Dudley, Sign Guy Dudley, Rasta Dudley, there's even Runt Dudley, and half-brother Spike Dudley! I'm going to have to resolve this myself! Anyway, we get set now for more action here at "March Matchups." Clocks spring ahead tonight and that brings up images of the summer and going to the beach to take a dip in the ocean. Or at the very least it will no longer be dark at 4 p.m. Meanwhile, some of us may have spent time indoors this winter swimming in a pool. So why not bring the two together and hook 'em up for our next match:

The Ocean vs. The Pool

So where would you rather swim? Some people, myself included, love swimming in the ocean. There's really nothing better than "riding" the waves and when you're finished, you really feel refreshed. I guess it is the salt water that does it. My favorite beach is Jones Beach (featured above during a sunset) out on Long Island, however, I have been to some other really cool places as well, where the water is awesome to swim in, such as San Diego. Of course, you have to be very careful when swimming in the ocean. The undertow can be difficult and you have to watch out for the unusual formation of a whirlpool. You might be concerned with sharks, or more reasonably, jelly fish. But I still love the ocean for the waves and the smell, which is usually refreshing. Even if I am at the somewhat nearby Jones Beach, it still can take on the illusion of being on a vacation.

The pool is a different story. Today, they are loaded with chlorine to kill all the germs, which is a good thing. I feel pretty confident that I'm not going to get sick from swimming in a pool. I believe the ocean cleans itself - at least from some waste that is deposited. Pollutants from the environment are altogether entirely a different story. Anyway, I do possess a pair of goggles but rarely if ever wear them because chlorine generally does not irritate my eyes. If it does, then I know that whoever is in charge really dumped a bunch of the stuff in. Like I said earlier, after swimming in an ocean I feel pretty refreshed, pools, however, are not always the case. You need to take a long hot shower to get rid of that chlorine smell, otherwise you will reek like a pool for the rest of the day. Still, I like pools for the fact that you can go in them any time during the year. There is also no need to be concerned about sharks, jellyfish, or pollution.

The Ocean wins this bout...because although like most everything it has it's drawbacks, anything that can make you feel like you are on vacation is good enough for me!

No comments: