Monday, March 16, 2009

I Can't Watch Chris Benoit

The Bret Hart DVD is great from what I have watched so far and includes some of my favorite matches ever, such as Bret-Owen at Wrestlemania X and Bret-Davey Boy Smith at SummerSlam in front of 80,000+ at Wembley Stadium. But then came the match that Bret had with Chris Benoit in tribute to the late Owen Hart while Bret and Benoit were in W.C.W.; that was the part I had to fast forward through.

This just amplifies for me why it would be a really stupid decision if the W.W.E. ever decided to put Chris Benoit into their Hall of Fame. Hopefully, it never happens, but over the last year I have read more and more fans wanting Benoit to go in.

I’m a bit confused as to what are the deciding factors in putting a wrestler into the H.O.F. due to the recent news that Koko B. Ware will be part of the “Class of 2009.” But clearly, if you went off of accomplishments, Benoit would be a lock. The fact is, though, that Benoit committed a heinous crime. I just can’t see what reasoning there is from the fans that want a Benoit induction.

Wrestling definitely straddles and even crosses the line of bad taste, but Chris Benoit in the Hall of Fame would absolutely cause me to stop watching.

MORE TRAGEDY
If you don’t know by now, Andrew “Test” Martin passed away last week just four days shy of his 34th birthday. There are those that have jumped on the “blame Vince McMahon” bandwagon and others that are taking the “personal responsibility” side. Regardless, people that age just aren’t supposed to die and it is very tragic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be all on Vince McMahon's back to see if Benoit will be inducted at all. Personally, based on accomplishments in the business, I think he should. :( But again a part of me says NO! It reminds me of the current MLB HOF and how writers aren't letting known steroid users into it (I.E McGwire) Time will only tell.

BTW: R.I.P Andrew Martin!

~F.O.X~

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

Interesting points, Nick.

We do know without a doubt that Benoit killed his wife, son and himself. As a publicly traded company I don't think McMahon or the people on his board would want the negative publicity from it.

Also, logistically who would induct Benoit? There would be protest from Nancy Benoit's family and from her friends in the business.