Sunday, January 14, 2007

Ice Chips

It wasn't Bure vs. Richter, but yesterday's penalty shot taken by Jed Ortmeyer against Tim Thomas was one of the reasons I love pro sports. Ortmeyer - just six games back from a pulmonary embolism discovered during the summer - is a tireless worker and it was great theater to see him ice the game for the Rangers against the Bruins, 3-1. Mark Messier once referred to Ortmeyer as "a future captain." Not bad, eh?

Say it isn't so! Petr Prucha and Adam Hall to St. Louis for Martin Rucinsky! No way, I believe this latest rumor floated by Larry Brooks of the New York Post. Brooks alleges that Blues' President John Davidson turned the deal down, demanding instead Rangers' super prospect Brandon Dubinsky.

St. Louis has plenty of dead wood to get rid of at the deadline. If I'm Sather and company I don't part with any, and I mean any, of the guys in Hartford.

The Rangers picked up Jason Krog (a Hobey Baker winner while at the University of New Hampshire) off wavers from Atlanta. After the soda I was drinking stopped coming out of my nose, I thought, "well, it's better than Petr Nedved." The Rangers did in deed put in a bid for Nedved while he was on waivers, before he was scooped up by Edmonton. Dress warm, Petr!

Smart move by GM Glen Sather requesting that Jaromir Jagr not go to the All-Star Game in favor of resting his shoulder, which underwent major surgery during the summer. The rest is definitely needed for the Rangers' superstar if the team is to have a good run in the playoffs. Brendan Shanahan is the lone Ranger going to Dallas.

I have been lucky enough to see two of the best goalies ever; Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. If I had to win a game seven, I'm going with St. Patrick. But either way you wouldn't have to worry much. I just give the slight edge to Roy because he did not always play with the best defenses in front of him, Brodeur has. The system has benefited Brodeur - especially the last couple of years - with stalwarts Scott Stevens and Ken Daneyko now retired. But make no mistake, I'm not trying to take anything away from Marty, I just prefer Roy.

Glad to see former Blueshirt draft pick Johan Holmqvist playing well for Tampa Bay. Johan was supposed to be the goalie of the future, but got lost in the shuffle. He was drafted in 1997; the same draft the Rangers nabbed Mike York and Hobey Baker Winner Mike Mottau (Boston College).

Stay Onsides!

No comments: