Monday, November 10, 2008

Book Review of Anne Rice's Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession

Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession
by Anne Rice

Incredible! Once again Anne Rice draws me in as a reader and won't allow me to put the book down. I read Called Out of Darkness in a couple of days; for one, because I was sick and was home from work, but secondly, I just didn't want to stop reading this inspirational memoir.

Rice talks of her Catholic upbringing and describes a world that is sadly no longer in existence. Her stories of the past reminds me of how my mom or my late father would describe the Catholic Church and all of the Church's great traditions. Rice then goes on to discuss her life as an atheist and the daily struggle which that presents for someone who is at heart, "a seeker."

The book concludes with her return to the Church and why her faith is so strong despite some of the controversies that surround modern day Catholicism.

In my opinion, Anne Rice is the best writer alive. I have never been disappointed with any of her works; Called Out of Darkness is no exception.

No comments: